You have spent a fortune on that stunning diamond necklace available in one of the best jewellery stores, but are now worried about how to take care of it? Don’t worry, here are some tips for taking care of your jewellery:
- Never apply makeup after you wear jewellery because cosmetics and perfumes could contain chemicals that affect your jewellery.
- When you take up some chores around the house, such as gardening, doing the vessels or washing up, you should take your jewellery off. You may expose your jewellery to fluids, detergents etc and end up ruining the precious stones or metals.
- There are experts at jewellery stores or boutiques, and if you are visiting one of the jewellery stores in Delhi or any jewellery showroom in India, you could ask them for suggestions to clean the jewellery. Different kinds of jewellery require different treatments. Don’t use the same approach for all of your jewellery.
- You can clean your diamond in a solution made of ammonia once a week. However, make sure not to use a bristled brush or something harsh. Use a soft cloth instead because, sometimes, the settings are fragile.
- Steer clear of strong cleaning solutions that use chlorine as they can erode the metal coating or dislodge the diamonds from the settings.
- When you are using diamonds, you would do well to store them in a jewel box lined with soft fabric. Don’t mix your jewellery with other pieces as they can cause friction and lead to your jewellery getting scratches or dents.
- Talking about gold, the best way to clean a gold ornament is to daub some toothpaste and gently wipe it.
- If your jewellery has some pearls embedded in it, make sure you keep the pearls away from moisture or too much water. Store a piece of jewellery with pearls in it in a silk cloth. You can clean it with a damp cloth, but very carefully.
- There are ultrasonic cleaners available in the market for jewellery, but use them with discretion. They can be used on diamonds, amethysts and sapphires, while they cannot be used on certain stones like emeralds or tanzanite. It is ideal to consult an expert before you buy an ultrasonic cleaner. When in doubt, go to a professional.
- Every now and then, you may have to get your jewellery inspected by the experts at one of jewellery stores in Mumbai or Delhi. An inspection will also help you cut costs on repairs that may prove costly later.
- There are times when your jewellery may get tarnished, in scenarios when you haven’t worn it in a very long time. It is said that placing strips with anti-tarnish quality in the jewel box can help retain the sheen of your jewellery. The strips absorb all the oxidants that have the capacity to cause discolouration of jewellery.
Also talk to your jeweller about insuring your diamonds because it is the most valuable piece of jewellery you will own.
Armed with these tips, you can be confident that your jewellery is in safe hands!
POLL: How do you clean your diamond jewellery? Do you seek expert advice or do it on your own?