The moment you think of Goa, the picture of glistening beaches and azure waters come to mind. Practically everyone’s ideal vacation destination in India, even though Goa is the smallest state in the country, it attracts the maximum tourists. In fact, a report published by the International Business Times states that, tourist arrivals to the coastal Indian state of Goa crossed the five million mark in 2015. Of the 5.30 million tourists that visited the state, 541,000 were foreigners (IBT, 2016).
While it is true that most tourists are lured to visit the state because of its beaches, parties and relaxing atmosphere, there is a lot of Goa most tourists miss out on. When it comes to Goa, even the smallest of things can change your entire experience, ensuring that whenever you visit the state, your stay will be completely different from previous times. Hence, here is the ultimate travel guide to Goa, that giving you a complete different outlook to this party destination. So what you’re waiting, just book 5 star resort in Goa, pack bag, & experience the beauty of the land.
The Secrets of the Past
Not many people know this, but like most parts of India, Goa too has many secrets buried under its grounds that tell the story of our culture and history. A visit to old Goa, adorned with magnificent churches, old Portuguese houses and remnants of yesteryear ruins, is sure to take you back to the time when India was the epitome of royalty. Here are a few places you must visit:
- Fort Aguada – A Portuguese fort that was built in the 17th Century
- Basilica of Bom Jesus – A UNESCO world heritage site, this church is one of the oldest in Goa, and holds the remains of St. Francis Xavier.
- Church of the Rosary – Located 8kms from Panjim, this church is the best example of Manueline style architecture that was widely popular in the early Portuguese.
Not for the Faint-Hearted
While Goa boasts of fun-filled parties like Sunburn all year round, there are many other things you can do, that are equally enjoyable. But, consider yourself warned, a few of these activities are not for the faint-hearted:
- Water sports – Yes, lying back on the warm sands of the beach or losing yourself in the waves of the seas is the best part of visiting a beach. But, you do not need to restrict yourself to just that. Diving, catamaran sailing, jet skiing, parasailing and other such activities lets the adventurer in you take a leap into the unknown.
- Casinos – A visit to Goa’s vast range of casinos should definitely be on your to-do list, during your stay in the state. Games like slots, roulette, poker and flush, sometimes coupled with free food and drinks is sure to get your adrenaline pumping!
- Eat, Eat, Eat – Yes, the beverages in Goa are truly out of the world. But the food is no less! Right from the popular Vindaloo, to the Crab Xec Xec, the food is as peculiar and exotic as the name suggests!
Giving you a stark contrast, one facet of Goa is a tireless all night party scene, while the other is laid-back and showcases glimpses of the brilliant architecture and lifestyle that the Portuguese brought along in the 17th Century. Goa definitely gives you the best of both worlds, so make sure you make most of it.
After all, after a visit to Goa, the tans will fade but the memories will last forever.